Monday, January 08, 2007

Post-OSS Plans

I've dived head-first into the client source code. For the moment, I'm just orienting myself, poking my head around to see what goes where, building up a mental map of how the pieces fit.

An obvious next step is to attempt a compile of the viewer as-provided, before making any changes. That way, if something doesn't work, I will know that at least it used to work, so something I did broke it.

I'm also familiarizing myself with Linden Lab's issue tracker, wiki, mailing list, etc.—all the new stuff that appeared. I'll probably see if there are any little bugs in the issue tracker that I can fix.

In the meantime, I'm noting areas of the source code that interest me, so that I can focus and specialize in them. At the moment, improving the user interface seems to be where I get my kicks. The things I noted in my exploration of XUI as being impossible without access to the source code are now, of course, possible.

Lots of new toys to play with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just grabbed all my C++ books for reference again. Wahoo!!!